What functions does the cell membrane perform?
Oct 20, 2017
Cell membrane is a dynamic entity. It performs a lot of functions.
- Ion pumps operate across the membrane, so that extracellular sodium concentration remains elevated.
- Sodium channels allow plasma membrane to depolarise and repolarise in appropriate time.
- Cell secretion can take place when plasma membrane fuses with secretory vesicles.
- Infolding of plasma membrane on the other hand helps in phagocytosis and pinocytosis.
- Cell membrane may increase surface area by projecting microvilli .
- Cell membrane of cells like RBCs possess antigens which determine blood group.
- Lipid soluble materials easily diffuse through cell membrane, including respiratory gases.
- Plasma membrane helps in anchoring the cytoskeletal structures like spindle apparatus .
- There are enzymes integral to plasma membrane, hence it catalyses reactions like breaking down ATP into ADP and inorganic phosphate.
- Plasma membrane can receive signaling molecules like protein hormones due to presence of membrane receptors .