What are the functions of the cell wall?
The major role of cell wall is to form a framework for the cell to prevent over expansion.
Additional functions of the cell wall include:
1) to provide mechanical strength and support.
2) to control the direction of cell growth.
3) to withstand turgor pressure
4) it helps to regulate growth as it sends signals for the cell to enter the cell cycle in order to divide and grow.
5) it aids in cell to cell communication via plasmodesmata
6) it provides a barrier to protect against plant viruses and other pathogens.
7) it stores carbohydrates for use in plant growth (especially in seeds) and also helps to prevent water loss.