How are industries polluting our water resources?
Consider the following explanation:
- Industries discharge chemical wastes comprising substances called effluents in rivers, lakes, streams etc.
- Factories sometimes turn waterways into open sewers by dumping oil, toxic chemicals and other harmful liquids called effluents into them
- These chemicals not only pollute the water reservoirs but also disturb the natural purification cycle of water carried out by microorganisms.
- Waste from tanneries and other heavy industrial plants contain heavy elements such as Chromium, Lead, Mercury etc which pose severe threats to the aquatic life.
- Moreover, the fertilizer industries dump nitrogenous and phosphate-containing waste into the rivers, lakes and other reservoirs causing Eutrophication.