What are 5 examples of metonymy and how are they used in a sentence?
Metonymy is a type of figure of speech in which a thing/concept/idea is referred to by the name of something similar to the thing/idea/concept.
It does not have to be an entire phrase. Often times, just a word can function as a metonymy.
Here are some examples:
- "Plate" can mean an entire plate of food
- "Lend me your ears" is a popular metonymy phrase. It means to give someone their attention.
- "Jeff is a real silver fox!"- This is a metonymy that means that Jeff is an attractive older man.
- "Give me a hand" means to give someone help.
- "Cuba has passed a bill." Using the name of a country can be used as a metonymy to use in place of that country's government or economy.