What are four major macromolecules and what is their structure and function?
1. Nucleic acids: Contain N in rings, nucleotides made of sugar, phosphate and nitrogenous base
Carbohydrates: Made of C,H, and O; –OH's on all carbons except one
Lipid: Made of C,H, and O; lots of C-H bonds; may have some C=C bonds (unsaturated)
Protein: Contain N, have N-C-C backbone
- Nucleic acids: Stores and transfers info
- Carbohydrates; Store energy, provide fuel, and build structure in body, main source of energy, structure of plant cell wall
- Lipid: Insulator and stores fat and energy
- Protein: Provide structural support,transport, enzymes, movement, defense.