What are some of the possible hazards of working with a 0.50 M NaOH solution?

1 Answer
Mar 5, 2017

A splash on bare skin......


Of course, a splash in the eye is impossible, because whoever used this chemical would be wearing safety spectacles. Base burns are in general more dangerous than acid burns, because when you get splashed by acid, it hurts, and you would wash the burn with copious water immediately.

On the other hand, when you get splashed by base, you don't immediately know it. The soapy, slimy nature of base means that it does not hurt immediately. Only afterwards do you realize you have been splashed by base, when you might have a nasty burn.

All this being said, #0.5*mol*L^-1# sodium hydroxide is not very concentrated, and does not present a great hazard. See this old answer on safety equipment in the lab.