What are the primary rules for naming covalent formulas?
There are a number of things to consider. I'll focus on naming binary molecular compounds. (Just two elements)
- Must include two non-metallic elements
- Name of second element has name change to use "ide" ending
- First element needs no prefix if there is only one
- First element needs a prefix if there are more than two of that element
- Second element always needs a prefix
1 - mono
2 - di
3 - tri
4 - tetra
5 - penta
6 - hexa
7 - hepta
8 - octa
9 - nona
10 - deca
This video discusses how to name binary molecular compounds which have covalent bonding.
Hope this helps!