Why is carbon dioxide important to remove from the bloodstream?

1 Answer
Mar 27, 2018

Carbon Dioxide or CO^2 is important to the extent that it is toxic to the body, and needs to be removed from the bloodstream before it reaches harmful levels.


Removal of the Carbon Dioxide is done via gas exchange in the lungs between alveoli and capillaries (tiny blood vessels), which is then released in an exhale with other unused gases such as nitrogen (78%) and argon (0.93%) which make up in total 78.93% of the Earth's atmosphere.

Hope this helps!
-C. Palmer