Why were Henry VIII and Charles V enemies?
Feb 27, 2016
There were several reasons why these leaders were enemies.
- Henry VIII was divorcing Catherine of Aragon, Charles V's aunt. Charles was outraged and believed his aunt was being stripped of honor.
- They ruled different regions and were warring over land, colonies, and resources.
- Francis I of France tried to form alliances with Henri VIII, which outraged Charles.
- After the Duke of Milan died, both Charles and Henri argued about who should succeed him.
- Henri tried to marry Charles's niece. Though he failed, Charles was upset.
- Henri VIII and Charles V strengthened their military and took measures to protect themselves from each other, because they were afraid.