Question #55d02

1 Answer
Jun 10, 2017

If there is a chemical reaction between #"H"# and #"Cl"#, the identity of the substances must change. The only way this is possible is if the two elements combine to form a product (either hydrogen chloride gas or hydrochloric acid, depending on the medium and method of reaction). No other form of chemical reaction is possible between two individual elements; they can only combine to form a single compound.