Question #97c8f

1 Answer
Sep 14, 2017

Answer:

I think answer is 78 gm

Explanation:

% sum of all the elements = 100
% of H = 7.7
% left of remaining elements = 100-7.7 = 92.3%

now we find the % of other elements with help of ratio given

% of C = #3*92.3/9# = 30.77%
% of O = #2*92.3/9# = 20.51%
% of S = #4*92.3/9# = 41.02%

now to finding empirical formula, we divide % by the atomic masses of respective element

C #30.77/12# = 2.56
O #20.51/16# = 1.28
S #41.02/32# = 1.28
H #7.7/1# = 7.7
now we divide all these %-mass ratio by the smallest %-mass ratio i.e. 1.28

C #2.56/1.28# = 2
S #1.28/1.28# = 1
O #1.28/1.28# = 1
H #7.7/1.28# =approx. 6

so the empirical formula is #C_2OSH_6 # and mass is 24 + 16 + 32 + 6 = 78 gm