How can nuclear fission be used to generate electricity?
So this is how a normal thermal power plant works:
- Coal and hot air (oxygen) react and the coal heats up
- The heat is used to generate steam from water.
- The steam turns the turbine.
- This causes electricity to be generated.
Now in nuclear fission:
- The uranium isotope is split by a neutron.
- This split causes an enormous amount of energy and heat to be released.
- This heat is used to heat water and produce steam.
- The steam turns the turbine and electricity is generated.
Basically, it's the same as a thermal power plant but using uranium as fuel.