How do you create box and whisker plots on a graphing calculator?
For a procedure similar to the graphing calculator, see this Plot.ly link . Please explore the Data tab, after reading the detailed explanation below.
Explanation . I never used graphing calculators, because in my country they are considered detrimental to actual mathematical reasoning. I know how to do it ~the hard way~.
Suppose we have the following set of data:
1) The first step in creating a box-and-whisker plot is ordering your data set:
2) Second, we need to find the median value: as we have
3) Third, we need to find the other two quartile points ,
For the first subset
For the second subset
4) Fourth, we'll mark the 5 significant values on a scale:
- the minimum and maximum values:
- the quartiles
#Q_1, Q_2 and Q_3#: #4.2, 4.5 and 4.75#
5) Fifth, we draw the box , which goes from
6) Sixth, we draw the whiskers at the endpoints (minimum and maximum values
In the end, we'll get something like this: