How many significant figures are in the number 5400?
Dec 6, 2015
I am assuming that
- All nonzero digits are significant.
- A trailing zero goes after a decimal point, or after all nonzero digits, or both, and no nonzero digits follow it.
- All "placeholder" zeroes AFTER a nonzero digit but BEFORE an implicit or explicit decimal point are subject to the following conditions:
- If an explicit decimal point is specified, they are significant if and only if a nonzero digit precedes them.
- If no explicit decimal point is specified, they are NOT significant.
Therefore, there are TWO significant figures (not four).