How would you write the number of significant figures present in #"106,356.7800 s"#?
May 20, 2017
Because there is a decimal point in the number, you count every number. Even the final two zeros at the end of the number are significant. Here are the rules
- Every non-zero number is significant
- Zeros sandwiched between non-zero numbers are always significant
- If there is a decimal, the zeros between the decimal and the first non-zero number to the left are significant.
- If there is a decimal, all zeros to the right are significant
- If there is not a decimal, zeros at the right are not significant