If the producer biomass in an ecosystem is 150 kg per hectare, what is the approximate primary consumer biomass that might be expected in the same ecosystem?

1 Answer
Jan 24, 2017

Answer:

Primary consumer biomass = 15 kg per hectare

Explanation:

Producer --> Primary consumer (such as sheep). The energy passes in between is 10%. The rest (90%) becomes waste (heat as well as waste material)).

Therefore, when you divide 150 by 10, you will get 15 kg of biomass per hectare as primary consumer biomass.

However, grasshoppers use energy efficiently (as much as 40%). If this consumer is grasshopper, you can get result as 60 kg per hectare.