What are some biotic and abiotic factors of the pelagic ocean?
One example of each:
- Biotic : A certain type of fish that thrives in that part of the ocean
- Abiotic: The oxygen content of the water in that part of the ocean.
Biotic factors are living things within an ecosystem. These living include things all the way from bacteria to elephants.
Abiotic factors are non-living factors within an ecosystem. These include things like temperature, rainfall, soil quality, and altitude.
This Venn Diagram sums it up nicely:
So, in the pelagic zone of the ocean, some biotic factors might be:
- Marine life (fish, sharks, etc.)
- Aquatic plant life (certain types of algae, etc.)
Some abiotic factors might be:
- The oxygen content in the water.
- The pressure at that depth.
- The nutrients present in the water.
Hope that helped :)