What are the advantages and disadvantages of an exoskeleton?
With exoskeletons it is difficult to regulate body temperature and they limit the size of the organism.
Advantages of exoskeleton:
1) they allow complex movements due to jointed appendages.
2) they provide protection against physical damage and abrasion.
3) they increase leverage
Disadvantages of exoskeleton :
1)they cannot stretch or expand
2) special modification are required for gaseous exchange and sensory pick up.
3) it is a major restriction on growth
4) it needs to be shed at regular intervals.