What are the general characteristics of members of the class aves?
Mar 30, 2018
Aves is a class in the subphylum Vertebrata of the phylum Chordata and consist of bipedal, feathered and warm blooded animals.
The general characteristics of class Aves are:
- spindle shaped body with four divisions - head, neck, trunk & tail
- forelimbs modified for flying
- epidermal covering of feathers and leg scales
- presence of beak or bill
- fully ossified skeleton with air cavities
- well developed nervous system
- 4 chambered heart
- endodermis, warm blooded
- sexes separate, fertilization internal
- semisolid urine, main nitrogenous waste is uric acid