What are the postulates of the kinetic-molecular theory?
Assumptions of the kinetic theory may be listed as-
1) An infinitesimal volume of a gas contains a large number of molecules.
2) Molecules move in all possible directions with all possible speeds ranging from zero to the speed of light. All directions of motion for a molecule are equally probable.
3) The molecules exert no forces on each other except for when they collide.
4) Molecules move in straight paths between successive collisions. The time of collisions is much less than the time between successive collisions.
5) The molecules are perfectly elastic hard spheres occupying negligible volume.
6) All intermolecular collisions and the collisions of molecules with the walls of the container are perfectly elastic. The walls are assumed to be perfectly smooth.