What are three halogens and describe a property that they all share?
Sep 18, 2017
Halogens are elements that belong to group VII. They exist as diatomic molecules.
- Melting and boiling points increases down the group.
- Halogens form molecular crystals thus their melting points are low
- Halogens are slightly soluble in polar solvents, e.g.
- Halogens are very soluble in non-polar organic solvents, e.g.
- In a chemical reaction, these non-metals gain an electron to form a univalent negative ion with -1 charge
- Chemical reactivity of the elements decreases down the group, fluorine being the most reactive and astatine being the least reactive.