What is herniation of the urinary bladder into the vagina called?

1 Answer
Aug 1, 2017

A cystocele.


A cystocele (also called colpocystocele) is the bulging or prolapse of the bladder into the vagina.

It occurs when the muscles between the muscles between the bladder and the vagina weaken, allowing the bladder to sag and bulge into the vagina or through the vaginal opening.

This can happen after vaginal childbirth or due to other factors like constipation, heavy lifting, or violent coughing that cause straining of the muscles of the pelvic floor.