What is the 'grad' setting on some calculators?

I assume that 'grad' is short for 'gradient,' and I had previously guessed it refers to slope somehow. I'm just not certain what it's for and, having seen it for a while now, am rather intrigued. My best guess is that it relates to tangent lines to the unit circle, but I haven't the foggiest;