Which tools would a chemist use to find an irregularly shaped object's mass and volume?

1 Answer
Oct 12, 2016

Refer to the explanation.


The mass can be found by using a balance or scale. If the object is placed on a plastic weighing dish or in some other container, their masses will have to be deducted from the total mass, or you can tare the balance so you can measure the mass directly.

The volume can be found by water displacement. Add enough water to an empty graduated cylinder so that it will completely cover the irregular solid. Record the volume. Place the object in the cylinder and record the new volume. The difference between the second volume and the first volume is the volume of the solid.