Why would you get electrocuted if you went swimming in a pool during an electrical storm? Hint: think about what people put in pools in order to kill bacteria.

1 Answer
Nov 10, 2015

Answer:

I am quite giving more precision for my own question after some research and deduction :

Explanation:

My original theory was that: the reason why we can be electrocuted is that most of the chemicals used to kill bacteria are made of Chlorine, and chlorine is one of the most electronegative atoms. If Chlorine is in contact with a metal, a bond will occurs, creating an ionic compound.

The fact is those Ionic compounds are easily conductive in solution.

The good and fair conductivity reading are metallic bond and in this case, Ionic solution. The reason why, is because Ionic solution are made of positive and negative ions. Water which is polar will be attracted by those anions and cations and surround them. When a flow of electrons will pass, those positive and negative arrangements will permit them to move from the positive pole to the negative pole of the conductive meter.

In a swimming pool chlorine ion are mix with water, a polar molecule. In this case the pool is a perfect environment for the conductive solution.

After looking on Internet I found on the site ‘Science, how does stuff work’*:

That: ‘The chlorine solution you pour into the water breaks down into many different chemicals, including hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and hypochlorite ion (OCl-).’

The reason why, people can be electrocuted is that the hypochlorite is an ion and in the water, it form an ionic compound. What we know is that Ionic compounds are conductive in solution state. This is probably why people in pools risk an electrocution.

*http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/question652.htm

http://www.ehow.com/list_6661358_effects-chlorine-water-conductivity.html

Thank you very much again Barrackasaurus, you're answer was really useful (if you think I made a mistake or confusion in mine, do not hesitate to correct me)