You have 1.25 L of oxygen gas at STP. What is its mass?
We are at STP and that means we have to use the ideal gas law equation!
- P represents pressure (could have units of atm, depending on the units of the universal gas constant)
- V represents volume (must have units of liters)
- n represents the number of moles
- R is the universal gas constant (has units of
- T represents the temperature, which must be in Kelvins.
Next, list your known and unknown variables. Our only unknown is the number of moles of
At STP, the temperature is 273K and the pressure is 1 atm. The proportionality constant, R, is equal to 0.0821
Now we have to rearrange the equation to solve for n:
To get the mass of