Question #6d32a

2 Answers

Meniscus; produced in response to the surface of the container or another object. It can be either concave or convex.

It is called a meniscus.


The curved concave surface of a substance such as water in a glass graduated cylinder is called the meniscus.

Mercury forms a curved convex meniscus in a glass graduated cylinder.

In practice, if you see a meniscus curved downward, the bottom of the meniscus (tangential to the middle of its curve) marks the upper bound for the volume of the liquid. The thickness of the tick marks is the uncertainty you have in the glassware you use.