Magma that flows to the earth's surface is called what type of rock?

1 Answer
Apr 5, 2016

Magma from the Earth that flows to the surface is called an extrusive igneous rock.


Magma is melted rock that flows upward through the Earth's crust. If it flows to the surface, its called "extrusive". If it does not break through to the surface, but cools within the Earth its called "intrusive". Examples of famous extrusive flows include the Hawaiian islands, volcanoes on Iceland and the volcanoes along western North America.