How do we define life?
Sadly, there is no all -encompassing definition of life.
But by observing life we have defined the following characteristics, seperated into two subjects.
Chemical and physical characteristics
- Out of equilibrium, a so cold dynamic steady state. Also referred to as metabolism.
- Life must be able to self-replicate
- Life is complex, yet organised.
- Extraction, transformation and use of energy from the environment.
- A life form must sens and respond to changes in the surroundings.
- Life must have the capacity to accurately self replicate and assemble.
All of above properties are related to molecules and thus chemistry!