A composite geometry is made up of cube and a square pyramid frustum. The slanted side AK stretch a side lengths of 5.62 forming an isosceles triangle. Calculate the volume, surface area and sketch the net of the surface area?
There are some assumptions that we have to make looking at the picture that are not explicitly specified in the problem. See below
- The side length of a cube is
- The pyramid frustum's top base is a square with a side
- The pyramid before it was truncated was regular square pyramid
- The plane of truncation (top base of a frustum) is parallel to its bottom base.
- Side edge of the pyramid frustum is defined as
Our major task is to define the height of the pyramid frustum
First of all, let's project the top base of the pyramid frustum onto the bottom base of this pyramid. On the bottom base we will see this projection as a square centrally located inside a bigger square - the bottom base. We know dimensions of both squares -
Using a Pythagorean Theorem, we can find a distance from the projection of point
All the values required in the problem are now easily derived, knowing