How do you find the value of #18+6 div 3#?
More important than blindly following BODMAS, PEDMAS or any other of the numerous acronyms, is to understand what they mean and what they all have in common.
- There are different operations which are done in an expression.
- Some operations are stronger than others, Stronger operations are done first, and the weaker ones last.
- In order of strength, the operations are:
powers and roots
-addition and subtraction
- If a weaker operation must be done first, this is indicated with brackets.. Brackets take priority over all other operations.
- Count the terms first. They should be kept separate until the last step at which stage they can be added or subtracted.