How much mass was there in the protoplanetary disk out of which the planets formed, compared to the mass of the Sun?

1 Answer
Nov 26, 2016

Answer:

The mass of the protoplanetary disk was about #2*10^30Kg#, the mass of the Sun is about #1.989*10^30Kg#.

Explanation:

The mass of the solar system, and hence the protoplanerary disk, is about #2*10^30#Kg. The Sun at #1.989*10^30Kg# contains #99.89%# of the solar system's mass.

Of the remaining mass the four gas giants Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune make up #99%#. The other #1%# is the combined mass of the rocky planets, asteroids, comets and dust and gas.