What are the cultural and political issues surrounding acid rain?
Acid rain is caused by dissolution of oxides of Nitrogen and Sulfur in rain water. Allowing these oxides to increase in the atmosphere is the main cause of acid rain.
Any cultural practice that would help spreading of these gases will help acid rain. The political reasons include
1. Absence of laws that would prevent air pollution.
2. Government giving more weight to employment or production than putting stringent action against pollution
3. Developing countries think that if they curtail emission of fuel gases they will remain towards back in developmental process.
4. As there are laws related to aviation on the global level, there are no international laws for curtailing polluting gases from ships in deep seas.
5. Polluting gases can pass boundaries of nations and cause acid rains in those nations who themselves are not responsible for it.