What are the steps used to draw a Lewis structure?
Here are the steps that I use to draw a Lewis structure.
- Decide which atom is the central atom in the structure.
- Draw a skeleton structure in which the other atoms are single-bonded to the central atom.
- Draw a trial structure by putting electron pairs around every atom until each gets an octet.
- Count the valence electrons in your trial structure.
- Now, count the valence electrons you have available.
- Add or remove electrons in the trial structure to match the available electrons.
- Assign formal charges to each atom.
Draw the Lewis structure of the ammonia,
1. Central atom
2. Skeleton structure
3. Trial structure
4. Valence electrons shown
5. Electrons available
∴ The trial structure is the correct structure.
6. Correct structure
7. Formal charges
The Lewis structure of