What is an organism's trophic level?
May 13, 2018
An organism's trophic level is the position it occupies from the start of the food chain.
I listed the trophic levels and organisms that occupy that level below:
- Trophic Level 1- plants and algae make their own food and are otherwise known as producers that rely on the sun's energy
- Trophic Level 2- herbivores eat plants and are called primary consumers
- Trophic Level 3- predators of herbivores are called secondary consumers
- Trophic Level 4- carnivores that eat others are called tertiary consumers
- Trophic Level 5- apex predators have no other name, but are on the top of the food chain
Hope this helps! :)