What is the importance of the ozone shield and how do CFCs deplete ozone?
Feb 28, 2017
- ozone shield is important because ozone in stratosphere acts as shield to protect all types of life on earth from harmful UV rays.
- CFC is used in refrigerators.When they are discharged in lower atmosphere they move upward and reach stratosphere .
- In stratosphere ,UV rays acts on them as rleasing Cl atoms.
- Cl degrades ozone releaing molecular oxygen .
- Cl atoms re not consumed in the reaction.Once CFC are added to stratosphere ,they have permanent and continuous effects on ozone levels.