What is the sale price of a cell phone that is on sale for 15% off if the regular price is $75?

1 Answer
Oct 25, 2016

Answer:

Sale price is #$63.75#

Explanation:

There are 3 different ways to decrease a number by a given percent. Choose the method you find easiest to understand.

1. Find #15%# and subtract it from the regular price.

#15/100 xx75/1" "rarr 15/cancel100^4 xxcancel75^3/1#

=#$11.25" "# this is the amount taken off.

Sale price = #$75-$11.25 =$63.75#

2. Find 85% of the regular price.

If #15%# is taken off the regular price, the remaining amount is #85%#

#85/100 xx 75/1#

=#$63.75#

3. Write the amounts as direct proportion

"If $75 is 100%, how much will 85% be"?

#75/100 = x/85" "larr# now cross-multiply

#x = (75 xx85)/100#

#x = $63.75#