What type of attractive force must be overcome in order to melt the following in their solid state?
May 9, 2016
The type of attractive force that must be overcome in order to melt the following substances in their solid state:
- Xenon: London dispersion forces (LDF) or what is called Van der Waals forces. Xenon is an nonmetal element.
- Hydrogen iodide: Dipole-dipole interactions.
#HI#is a polar molecule that will form molecular solid.
- Graphite: Covalent bonds. Graphite is an atomic network where carbon atoms are linked to each other through covalent bonds.
- Barium Oxide: Ionic bonds. Barium oxide is an ionic compound that will form an ionic solid where ions are linked to each other through ionic bonds.
- Ethanol: Hydrogen bonds. Ethanol is a polar molecule that will form a molecular solid and the main interaction is the hydrogen bonds in addition to the LDF.