Question #52a41

1 Answer
Mar 29, 2017

I don’t think the #"f"# orbitals have any special names, but here's how I describe them.


Here is what the #"4f"# orbitals look like.

They are called the "cubic set" because four of the orbitals have lobes pointing to the corners of a cube.


For want of a better name, I call the bottom four orbitals "eight leaved clovers".

I call the top three orbitals "dumbbells with two doughnuts around the middle".

Perhaps you can think of names that are more appropriate for your country and culture.