How do you name cyclic alkynes?
How do you name cyclic alkynes
You insert the prefix cyclo before the parent name of the alkyne.
To name a cycloalkyne.
1. Count the number of carbon atoms in the ring.
2. Name the ring as a cycloalkyne.
3. Number the triple-bonded carbon atoms as C1 and C2.
4. Give the lower number to the substituent encountered first.
5. List substituents in alphabetical order.
6. Use multiplying prefixes to show the number of triple bonds.
The molecule below is cyclooctyne.
Next comes cyclononyne.
Below is cyclooctadeca-1,4,7,10,13,16-hexayne.