What is the function of the Golgi complex?
The function of the Golgi complex is to form lysosomes and vesicles (for cell secretion).
- The Golgi complex is very important for packaging hydrolytic enzymes of lysosomes.
- The acrosomal cap of sperm is a highly specialized lysosome that is produced by the Golgi complex.
- Materials (generally proteins) are packaged in secretory vesicles by the Golgi complex.
- Molecules supposed to be on plasma membrane are produced in the rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER), and ultimately reach the plasma membrane via Golgi when the secretory vesicles fuse with plasma membrane.
- The cell wall forms after division of a plant cell by deposition of materials at equatorial region of the cell, and the Golgi complex produces these materials.