What is the term for the lumps that form when an acid is added to milk?

1 Answer
Mar 26, 2017

Tasty question,

The term is acid milk curdling or curdling


When any acid is added to milk (hot milk) it forms cottage cheese. Usually you don't need a lab to do this experiment. This is a cheap way of extracting cottage cheese from milk, this is without preservatives and this is a healthy way to make cheese. Usually milk is put over the stove and lemon juice(citric acid) or acetic acid (vinegar) is added to the milk and is stirred .

Lumps form on the surface of milk which taste like cottage cheese .Yummy!!!. This process is called coagulate or it can be said curdling of milk. The milk thickens and forms lumps.

The protein bonds stick to each other on the addition of any acid. But the fats or carbohydrates dont react because they are stable but proteins are unstable .People use citric acid and acetic acid because these are not dangerous and are very cheap and easily available especially citric acid. If hydrochloric acid is used there is no danger to eat the cottage cheese because it has fully reacted and formed the same products but if by chance some excess hydrochloric acid is left and is consumed it is very harmful and the heating of the acid is also very dangerous.