Genetically modified (GM) food is controversial because it is impossible to prove a negative.
The public has many worries about GM food.
- Eating GM food may be harmful to humans in the short term.
There is broad scientific consensus that GM foods pose no greater risk to human health than conventional food does. But a new GM food might do so …
- Eating GM foods may have a long term effect on human health.
There hasn't been time to prove or disprove this.
- Control of the food supply may be consolidated in the companies that make GM foods.
This is a real concern.
- GM foods may contain allergens.
Nothing proved yet, but …
- The genes in GM foods may be transferred to humans..
Most studies show no or negligible transfer of genes into the blood of humans. But it might happen …
- Antibiotic resistance genes in GM foods may create resistant superbugs.
It hasn't happened yet, but it might …